Fiji Travel Guide

Hi friends!

Sorry I’ve been MIA lately, I feel like I’ve been saying that a lot, but I promise I have a LEGIT excuse. Details on that to come soon!

So we’ve made it through all of our New Zealand adventures and now it’s time to hop over to a warmer climate…. Fiji!!!



Mauricio and I decided to do both New Zealand and Fiji for a few different reasons…

  1. If you’re going to board a 15 hour flight you may as well see as much as you can over there
  2. It’s only a 5 hour flight from NZ to Fiji
  3. We knew that Mauricio would get bored if we spent two weeks in Fiji. He doesn’t enjoy just sitting by the pool and relaxing so that’s why I chose to do NZ first and ware us out a bit before spending the remainder of our honeymoon having fun in the sun.

We boarded the flight from Christchurch to Nadi, Fiji at the crack of dawn on Tuesday morning. We landed and caught a ride to the Westin Nadi, which is only about a 25 minute ride from the airport. I’m going to be honest though, other than the resort areas, the island is VERY low income.


With that being said, Mauricio and I never actually explored in-land… due to safety concerns we did do excursions of course, but those were all set up through the resort. I should mention here that the Fijians are extremely nice and accommodating. The word they use here is “bula” which can mean hello, goodbye, good day, etc.

Okay so after checking in to our room, Mauricio and I were anxious to go down to the pool and have some lunch and cocktails by the water.

Never too early for cocktail time when you’re on vacation!

Meanwhile, Mauricio got a tub of beers lol


The most delicius Mahi mahi sandwich ever….

Post lunch we claimed some lounge chairs by the pool and ordered a coconut rum drink {mostly because it was served out of an actual coconut}.

A couple hours later it started to drizzle so we headed inside to start planning out our excursions for the week, then shower and get ready for dinner.

All of the resorts back up to the water and you can just hop around from one to the next, so for dinner we headed over to another property where we heard had really great live music (which they did). We hung out by the bar and had a couple of drinks with another couple we started chatting with from Australia. That seems to be the theme of the trip- making friends with people from NZ and Australia lol.


The most delicious tuna steak ever…


After dinner we headed back to the room (we typically went to bed around 9pm here bc we were still so tired and just thrown off by all of the time zone changes)

I woke up the next day bright and early and ready for breakfast- however, Mauricio isn’t much of a breakfast guy so I tried to silent my hunger for an hour or so by having some coffee out on our patio and watch the sun rise.

Once I couldn’t hold out any longer, I woke up the hubby and we headed down to the breakfast buffet…. where we of course filled our plates with far more than we could actually consume.  But hey, that’s vacation right?! Trust me, there was more than whats in this picture….


After breakfast we hopped a ride to the dock where our day sailing excursion was boarding from.

We were with 25 or so other people (mostly couples) one of which was on their honeymoon as well. We drank and socialized during the hour commute to the island, then jumped off the boat and snorkeled to shore. The water was FREEZING, so I’m glad I jumped in before Mauricio could tell me how frigid the water was. Lol.

It was quite a long swim to shore, and to be honest I think a little unsafe if you aren’t a good swimmer. However, the snorkeling was definitely worth it. There were soooo many fish and coral everywhere! It wasn’t like some of those overly touristy places where you jump in to snorkel and you see like 3 fish an hour lol.


In fact, this teeny tiny little island was only inhabited by the men who drove the boat. All they had was a hut where they cooked our lunch, a restroom facility, and umbrellas bordering the water. I assume their sleeping quarters was behind the hut where we ate somewhere, but it couldn’t have been very luxurious. It was quite a humbling moment to see how they lived and how minimal they were (and still very happy).


After a BBQ lunch we did some little activities on the island like going on this glass floor boat to see the fish, shark feeding, and kayaking…. and drank. lol.  Then a few hours later we boarded the boat again and headed back to Nadi.

Processed with VSCO with s3 preset

Processed with VSCO with s3 preset



That evening we pretty much did the same as the night before- walked the beach to the other resorts and hopped around to try different resorts for drinks, appetizers, and dinner.



Breakfast day 2:


The next day we went to cloud 9 which was seriously SO cool. It’s basically this floating bar/day club out in the middle of the ocean. You can’t see land in either direction when you’re out there so it’s kind of a weird feeling but also really beautiful and peaceful. The water is crystal clear!



They play music and people just drink, eat pizza, and snorkel. Unfortunately for me, the only option on board was pizza- no exceptions. So I had to make do with eating cheese-less pizza…. which actually wasn’t as bad as it sounds. They make them in brick ovens so I just had them put pineapple, veggies, and such on it and it still tasted good to me…. good enough that I finished my full half of the pizza! Thank goodness for one-pieces right?!


After spending 4 hours on cloud 9, the jet boat arrived to take us back to land (which I’d say is the perfect amount of time. There is an option for a full day, which I think is worth it if you go with a large group of friends, but since it was just Mauricio and me, 4 hours out there was plenty).




After we got back to the resort we went ahead and hung by the pool for an hour or so and then headed up to the room to shower and get ready for our last dinner.


The next day (our last day) we decided to just spend chillin at the resort, as our check out time was at 3pm but our flight wasn’t until 9. Mauricio humored me this day and took some staged photos of me by the pool for a sponsored blog post I was writing…



We spent the day eating by the pool, drinking, and walking around the beach until around 7 when it was time to say goodbye and head to the airport.


Here was a beautiful wedding chapel along the ocean… they were setting up for a sunset wedding.


Crepes for dessert… Mauricios favorite!

After the 10 hour flight from Fiji to Los Angeles, we had a 6 hour layover. Thank goodness for the Admirals club, free snacks, and wifi otherwise I would have gone insane!


6 hours later we finally boarded the flight to DFW where my parents were anxiously awaiting us. After recapping our trip for them, Mauricio and I headed upstairs to and crashed. The jet lag was pretty bad those next few days though so neither of our sleeping patterns were very good.

Shop the post:

Now hopefully we will be getting the wedding photos soon so I can share those!! 🙂


xoxo, Abby





Leave a Reply